Monday, October 13, 2008

PRAYER WHEN AMBIVALENT

Have you ever experienced being ambivalent? That is, having conflicting feelings, like loving and hating at the same time? I’d say, it’s a difficult situation. I always resort to praying whenever such a situation arises. I put my prayer in writing such that whenever I find myself in such a situation, I just read it. The following is my prayer when I am ambivalent:

Lord Jesus Christ, help me not to be impulsive. Help me not to be overwhelmed nor be governed by strong and powerful negative emotions or temporary passions that will soon fade and die down. Make me more patient and tolerant, Lord. Instead of giving in to people’s provocations, help me choose to understand and forgive those who have wronged and hurt me.

Most of all, help me forgive my loved ones, Lord, and understand that these people whom I oftentimes harbor resentment towards with, are the same people whom I love and the reason for my aspirations. Help me understand that harboring any negative feeling against them will be incompatible with loving and caring for them.

And during such times when I have conflicting emotions, help me do away with such ambivalent feelings, Lord. May my ambivalence not stop me from helping, loving, and caring for them.

Amen
.

No comments: